Posted by Pål Ødegård on / 0 Comments
Viosen emerged as a town in the 1880s. Steamboats replaced rowing boats, boosting traffic between Snåsa and the surrounding region. The Seem Coaching Inn became the hub. There was an increase in goods and travel. At least 43 different businesses established themselves in the town until 1920. The Snåsen Trade Guild and Sivertsen’s Tannery were the first of an impressively diverse selection. At its peak, the town had three cafés, 14 shoemakers, clothiers, butcher shops, a bank, dairy, post office, fashion store, ammunition store, smiths, sawmill, photographer, community centre, coaching inn, clockmaker, bike repair shops, and many more. The Vonheim Civic Centre from 1901 was vital for nurturing community growth and organisations.
Things changed on October 30th, 1926. The first train arrived at Snåsa Station, while the Bonden steamboat made its last regular scheduled voyage. As opposed to the boats, the railway could keep operating all year round.
Viosen is one of two surviving historical Norwegian inland port cities. The site is under administrative protection, in order to preserve its historical buildings.